HISTORY OF GREEN MOUNTAIN ELECTRIC SUPPLY, INC.:
In 1953 three men, Earl Laber, Raymond Place and Norman Bean, had a desire to start a motor repair and rewinding shop in Newport, VT. They combined their knowledge and know how in the motor rewinding business and set out for Boston MA to buy their first order of magnet wire and supplies. With the tires of the car nearly touching the wheel wells, they drove back to Newport to start their risky business venture.
Hard work, competent repair work and cold sales calls paid off as their business began to support the three of them as well as 2 more full time workers.
Space became a problem and a move was necessary. Gene Bates and George Murray of Bates & Murray also needed space. A facility to house them both was found on Union Street in Newport. A flip of the coin determined who would buy the building and who would be the renters. Bates & Murray, (now a Barre-Montpelier electrical contractor), won and became the landlord to Green Mountain Electric.
In 1956 space became more of a problem and a move was in the realm of possibility. A location on East Main Street in Newport was found and purchased. The old Coca-Cola building was perfect and an addition was planned in 1959 to increase the facility to accommodate their growing need for space.
In the Mid-60's a decision was made to begin selling electrical supplies along side of the motor repair and rewinding business. This was a good marriage with the factories, as relationships had been already established. Contractor sales began to grow and more stocking needs were required. Products were stocked in every conceivable location in the facility.
The year 1970 brought the need to change the name to Green Mountain Electric Supply, Inc. It was also during these years that Raymond and Norm felt that it was time for retirement. A new partner was found and the wholesaling business continued to gain a strong foothold.
A major transition took place in 1977 when the business was sold to Earl's three sons, Gary, Scott and Gregg and a fourth partner Steven Carpenter. After several years of training, they were ready to take the business over and make the day to day decisions. In 1980 another extension of the facility was built to increase the facility another 2400 Square Feet for further increased stocking needs. Plumbing supplies were added in 1986 and a decision to not wind motors was agreed upon. Renting warehouse space became a necessity and a long range growth plan was established that would eventually lead to a new facility and location.
The first step in that process was purchasing a track of land on the Newport - Derby Road in 1987; this would enable the company to continue having a highly visible location. A 12,000 square foot warehouse was built in 1988 and two years later in 1990 plans for a showroom and offices were drawn up but put on hold; they were finally built in 1996. Now the building would house not only 5500 square feet for Green Mountain Electric Supply, Inc., but allow for additional rents of 8000 square feet. The complex was named Derby Time Square.
Our present facility in Newport, VT consists of a 12,000 square foot warehouse and a 5,000 square foot showroom that serves northern Vermont and New Hampshire. In 2008 a lighting showroom was added. The lighting showroom showcases interactive vignettes to display how various types of lighting will look in different rooms of a house including a kitchen, outdoor/landscape lighting and energy star rated fixtures.
In 1998 Green Mountain Electric Supply expanded by leasing a building in St. Johnsbury, VT allowing for expanded service in the states of Vermont and New Hampshire.
In 2001 Green Mountain Electric Supply expanded by purchasing Choinere Electric in St. Albans, VT. This allowed Green Mountain Electric Supply to expand their service to the western side of the state of Vermont. In 2007 the St. Albans branch moved a mile down the road to a new LEED rated building on the St. Albans - Georgia line. At the new location Green Mountain Electric Supply also includes a state of the art lighting showroom called Green Mountain Lighting Designs. The lighting showroom showcases interactive vignettes to display how various types of lighting will look in different rooms of a house including a kitchen, living room, dining room, bedroom, outdoor lighting, rustic style fixtures, and energy star rated fixtures.
In 2004 Green Mountain Electric Supply expanded by purchasing Burgess Electrical Supply in Burlington, VT to extend their service to the Burlington market.
In 2008 Green Mountain Electric Supply expanded into northern New York by purchasing Glens Falls Electric Supply in Queensbury, NY. Green Mountain Electric Supply is now able to service the Adirondack area of New York including Saratoga, Lake George, Plattsburg and Ticonderoga.
In 2009 Green Mountain Electric Supply expanded by leasing a building in West Lebanon, NH to extend their services to the New Hampshire market.
In 2010 Green Mountain Electric Supply expanded by purchasing Valley Electric Supply in Middlebury, VT to extend their services to the Middlebury market.